Coinbase is a top cryptocurrency exchange in the world, and the biggest and most recognized in the U.S. it is also the first crypto exchange to go public, so if you’re looking for a reliable exchange, don’t look any further.
But perhaps the thing that the platform is most recognized for is the simplicity of its user interface which makes it ideal for crypto beginners to use. This has earned Coinbase a reputation as the exchange for beginners.
Coinbase also allows users to deposit funds or buy crypto assets using different methods. These methods include bank transfer which attracts zero fees, and also the use of debit/credit cards.
You can easily buy Bitcoin on Coinbase using any of these methods, but the one you choose will depend on your goals. If you wish to buy Bitcoin with no fees not minding how long it takes, bank transfer will work for you.
However if you’re in kind of a hurry and you want the transaction to be near instant, credit cards will suit you well. This method also works well for beginners who are not used to advanced ways of buying crypto.
However, you may have heard that Coinbase is notorious for charging relatively high fees, and this is true. While other exchanges charge as low as 2% for buying BTC with a credit card, Coinbase charges 3.99%.
If you don’t mind the fees and are willing to proceed, the following are the steps to take to buy BTC using a credit card on Coinbase. To do this, you’ll need to create and verify a Coinbase account so you should do that first if you haven’t.
- Log into your Coinbase account. The account will automatically direct you to fund your account if you don’t have any funds.
- Click on Add Payment Method and select Debit/Credit Card. Fill in your card information including name on the card, card number, expiry date, and the three digit security number on the back also known as CVV.
- Confirm the information and save your card. If all the information provided is accurate, the card will be saved successfully. If not, you’ll need to review it and ensure everything is accurate and save again.
- Next, it’s time to buy your BTC. proceed to Buy/Sell. Enter the asset you wish to buy which is BTC, how much of it you wish to buy and the fiat currency you wish to buy. This should correspond to the currency on your card.
- Now, select your card as the payment method and then click on Buy or Confirm as the case may be.
- Congratulations, your transaction will be processed and the BTC sent to your BTC wallet on the exchange. From there, you can withdraw to your personal wallet or use it to trade, whatever you choose to do.
While using your card to buy BTC, there are many risks you get exposed to, one which is phishing. This is a situation in which you visit a fake website that looks like the real Binance. If you fill in your card details on such a website, the owners can steal all of your money on the card.
Therefore it is critical that you check to be sure you’re visiting the real website, www.coinbase.com. You should double check this before filling out the information to prevent avoidable losses.
Also, unless you wish to trade regularly, it is strongly advisable that you withdraw the BTC to a personal wallet, preferably a cold wallet for safe keeping. Crypto exchanges are prone to attacks which can lead to losses and Coinbase has had its fair share of attacks.
Buying BTC with a credit card is easy and convenient as well as fast. Unless you have some concrete reasons not to, this is the method you should use when buying BTC on Coinbase.